Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How would I do in a true Corporate Setting?

Recently, I took my licensing test in a building where a lot of corporate offices are. I realized while I was in the elevator listening to very boring, mundane small talk that I think I would be very bored in the corporate world and that I am glad I do what I do.

My job has aspects of corporate that go along with it. We have managers and procedures and all accounting has to go through certain process. There are a lot of other things that make the company I work for corporate in a sense, but being in sales is still so different then say your typical, all corporate, 9-5 workplace.

The thing that jumps out me almost every day is how we have to dress and the hours I have to work. There are so many days that I am still in sweats walking the dogs in the Am, and I see everyone leaving for work in their full suits or if their company allows, they are in a tucked in shirt with nice pants. By the time it is time for me to leave to go to work, I am ready in my jeans and whatever shirt I want to wear( hopefully flops depending on weather) and I am out the door. I don't have an exact schedule. I have a time I have to be here, but if I am late or just come in later, it is no big deal. As long as I am getting my work done, it doesn't really matter what time I get in/leave. I remember when I worked in the real corporate world, if I was 10 minutes late, people were looking at me and I could get in trouble.

There are a lot of other reasons and I know the reasons I give just sound lazy, but they are not and I love what I do. When I did work in the corporate world, i worked very hard. I would get in early, stay late, always be dressed up and I just got used to that way of life. Now that I am back in this type of work, I have gotten back into this way of life and I realize just how much better I like this. I get paid more now, I love my job way more, and I like my lifestyle more. I still get insurance. I am missing out no certain perks of the corporate world, but I also think people in the corporate world are missing out on so many percs that I have.
At the end of the day, when I really think about it, I feel i am way better suited for this type of job then compared to my old job in good old corporate America.

No comments: