Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Having Kids

I was asked the other day if I would consider having a kid out of wedlock. I answered her with an immediate yes and came up with a reason why, but I have not been able to stop thinking about that since I was asked that question. There are so many answers I have to that question, and most of those answers lead me to more questions.

I automatically said that I would, but that it would depend on the girl. I do not want to just have a kid with someone I am not close with, but I could see myself being very close and in love with someone, but not being married to them, and still wanting to have a kid with them. It also made me think, if I was good friends with someone, could I have a kid with them, even if I knew me and her would never be married. I don't know if I could do that, but then again, I don't know exactly what I want in my life.

I guess I view things very differently when it comes to parents being married to raise a kid compared to the way most people think about it. I grew up as an only child whose parents got divorced when I was 6. I was able to see people who were not married raise a child and they both had so much love and care for me and they would both do anything they could for me. There was never a time, when they would bad mouth each other or try to use me to get to the other one or anything like that. I think that is a large part of why I would consider having a kid with someone "out of wedlock"
I also know what I would look for when I was looking for a women to be the mother of my child, and honestly, her love towards me, is not one of the top things. Obviously, if I was married, it would make things easier and would teach the kid about true love and family, but I think family values and love can be taught and learned even if the parents are not married, as long as the mother and father both have respect for each other and undevoted love towards the kid.
To me, I want the mother of my child to be a great women, who is loving and caring and smart, and someone I feel overall would be a great influence and someone that I would want my daughter to grow up and be like.

No comments: