Monday, July 19, 2010

my dog getting old

The other night there was an earthquake at 5am. I didn't hear it or feel it, but I guess it was enough to freak my dog out. I woke up to her in her dog bed whimpering and shaking. I sat with her and she just cuddled up to me. and let me pet her and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Over time, she went back to sleep, but it truly freaked me out.

I couldn't get back to sleep at all after that. It was then that I realized that something wasn't really wrong with her, but also I realized that she is coming up being 7 years old and for a dog, I know that is really old. It got me very freaked out, that my dog could be getting old and in turn getting sick and could die soon.

Yes, I have had friends and family die and when I was 17 my cat died and when I was 15 my dog died, but this is a totally different feeling. Summer has been my dog, my life, she has been part of me for the last 7 years. Every day she is there for me no matter good or bad. I would never expect anyone that didn't have a dog to understand how I feel, even when I am mad at her, I still love her.

Seeing her like that the other night, made me realize that she is getting old and that I may not have tons of time left with her and that makes me very sad and very upset.

No comments: